Barks! Woof! Yes, you can include your dog in your wedding with these Easy Ways to Include your Dog In your Wedding.
Just imagine your perfect wedding day.
You want all your friends, family, and your beloved four-legged friend to be included.
How cute will he or she be walking down the aisle in a covered leash, as ring bearer or giving you away.
Including your dog in the wedding does require some planning.
Rent a Pet-friendly Venue that will allow a Dog in your Wedding
When choosing a venue ask about their pet policy. Confirm that they allow dogs in your wedding.
Most venues are happy to include your pet. However, not all venues are receptive to including furry friends.
Hire a Pet Sitter
In a strange place with food, lots of people and activity, you never know how the most well-behaved dog is going to react.
You’ll want to make sure your dog will be happy spending the day celebrating with you and your guests.
Hire or designate a person to be the pet sitter.
A responsible pet sitter will make sure to have plenty of treats, food, and freshwater.
The designated sitter primary responsibility will be caring for your pets.
Taking potty breaks, cleaning up after your pets and even taking them home at some point during the reception.
Train your Dog to Walk down the Aisle
Have your dog sitter, flower girl and everyone who will be handling your dog. Practice, practice, practice before the big day.
Teach your furry companion to be comfortable wearing his or her wedding attire before the wedding.
Whether it’s a bow tie, dress, tutu or anything different than your dog is used to wearing on a daily basis.
If it’s a young puppy, expect that they will not be able to sit calmly for very long.
Have a designated spot where your pet sitter can take your fur baby to relieve him or herself and to run and play. Or even take a nap.
Make sure your Guests are Comfortable around Dogs in your Wedding
When sending out your wedding announcements let guests know there will be a dog in your wedding.
Include a one-line sentence ” Our dog, Ruby,” will be attending the service and celebration.”
This way any guests with allergies can make prior arrangements to sit in the back, near the exit.
Anyone afraid of dogs will have a heads up that there will be a dog participating and to what degree.
Wedding Photos with your Dog
Photos with pets are a wonderful way to include your 4 legged friends in your wedding.
- Ask your photographer about their experience working with dogs.
- Bring treats to the photography session. Have the photographer hold the treats up to the camera.
- Taking photos at your dog’s favorite park can make them feel more comfortable.
- Bring someone who can hold your puppy if he or she gets bored.
Expect and Prepare for the Unexpected
Eventhe most obedient dog can become excited or stressed by having a lot of people on the big day.
If your dog becomes rebellious, just take it in stride. Nothing ever goes as planned in a wedding. They’ll always be a surprise.
Have the pet sitter front and center at your wedding. They can take over if needed.
Enjoy! And embrace having your best friend at your wedding.
25 Unique Ways to include your Dog in your Wedding
- Have them included in your Save the Date pictures.
- Get an awesome outfit for your dog
- Don’t forget about a special leash.
- Don’t let your dog carry the real rings down the aisle. Use fake rings.
- Have a designated area for your pet sitter and dog to sit.
- Place your pet’s photo on the wedding table alongside the bride and grooms.
- Before walking your dog down the aisle. Take your pet potty.
- Included them in your engagement photo
- Your wedding photos should include the entire family, fur friend included.
- Have a special sign made up that can be attached to them.
- Have them walk down the aisle with the flower girl.
- Use a decorated leash and collar.
- Have your pup hold the rings for the special occasion.
- Don’t want flowers? Carry your dog down the aisle.
- Have the bride hold the leash and let them lead the way to give you away.
- Mention your dog in the vows.
- Have your cake designer include a pet as the cake topper.
- Have your guests donate money to a shelter or pet rescue in lieu of gifts.
- ‘Let your pup give you away. Walk down the aisle ahead of the bride with a decorated leash. Transfer the leash from the bride to the groom as “giving away the bride.”
- Have custom embroidered pocket squares with your dog’s silhouette.
- Make doggie inspired place settings.
- For small dogs use a decorated wagon to pull down the aisle.
- Attach a floral bouquet around your dog’s neck.
- Use doggie take-home treat bags like goodie bags.
- Take your dog out on the dance floor for the bride and groom dance.
Dressing your Dog to be in your Wedding
Leashes come in a huge variety. There are rope leashes, which can be decorated with a flower or are great by themselves.
Pearl leashes for the girly girl pup.
Flat plain white or colored leashes with attached bows or bowties.
Bling leather leashes for the stylish pup.
My Favorite Leash is from Sleepy Cotton.
Sleepy Cotton Leashes – These leashes come in a beautiful Beige leash that can easily be decorated to match your wedding. These leashes are up cycled cotton and look great for any wedding.
Want a color? No problem. They have all kinds of colors available.
Discount Code: Here’s my discount code that will get you 10% off.
Use Code: RUBYDOODLE10
How about a Leash with some Bling?
Bling Leash – Want some bling for your dog’s leash? This gorgeous, fancy, sparkly white rhinestone leash will do the trick.
Talk about a glam pup!
Your dog’s collar should be comfortable for your pet.
If it dangles to their knees as they are walking they might become agitated.
You’ll want it to match and color coordinate with the bridesmaids or groomsmen outfits.
Tuxedo Boy Dog Collar – This adjustable collar will get some “ooh” and “ahhs” as your handsome dog walks down the aisle. Adorable!
Pearl and Crystal Necklace Collar – Sweetest little necklace collar full of double set of pearls and a crystal heart.
Dress them in an Adorable, Clothes, Hats or Crown of Flowers
Dress your dog for your special occasion.
Make sure the outfit is comfortable for your furry friend.
Practice having your dog wear their wedding attire.
Full Tuxedo Outfit for Dogs – You dog will feel like a prince in this full tuxedo outfit. Perfect for a formal wedding. Think of how cute this would be coming down the aisle. Adorbs!
Girls Flower Headband – This crown will make the flower girl the star of the show. It comes in all these wonderful colors and easy to wear.
Order a Custom Cake Topper with a Dog
Why not include the entire family in a personalized custom cake topper.
They make great keepsakes.
Wedding Cake Topper with Dog – Do you have 1 dog? This topper includes a couple with a dog that will be a unique touch to the wedding cake.
Weddings can be stressful and overwhelming.
One of the sweetest memories is your furry friend walking down the aisle.
Friends and family are guaranteed to ooh and ahh over the tail wagging cutely outfitted pup looking their best.
Congratulations and have the best time ever at your wedding with your four-legged companion.
Be sure and attach your favorite wedding photo in the comments.